Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Gluten Free Grilled Chicken and Potato Salad

Today has not been a good day.

Thing 1. It is INSANELY hot and humid.  Insanely.  I thought I moved to NH to avoid such things.
Thing 2. The yorkie has some kind of intestinal upset and has for the last few days.  We finally made it to the vet today.  Anyway, a ten pound dog can still make A LOT of mess.
Thing 3.  I noticed a stain on the wall in the bathroom.  I thought I was so handy when I grabbed the pain the contractor had left to fix it!  Until it dried.  And I realized I had used the gloss version meant for the base boards.  So now I have a shiny stained spot!  What joy!  I did buy the right paint this afternoon, but I think I'll leave it to the Mister to fix this time....
Thing 4.  In all the mayhem, I overboiled the pot with the potatoes and made an epic mess that took ages to clean up!

So, tonight's dinner is a no-frills, no-fuss, very-little-indoor heat kind of meal.  I'm hoping this evening will be better than my day was!

I started by boiling chunked, peeled potatoes this morning, for about ten minutes, until fork tender.  I tucked them into the fridge to cool off.

When I got home from my paint adventure, I put together the marinade for the chicken.  Juice of a lemon, 3 tablespoons or olive oil, and salt and pepper.  Mix it together in a gallon size ziplock and throw in your chicken.  Stick it in the fridge for an hour or two or more.

Side note: We have had the HARDEST time finding chicken with no added broths that upset the Mister's celiac, but the Bell and Evans brand (who also make great GF prepared chicken) seems to do the trick.

Now, start chopping!  You want to make the potato salad early so it chills and the flavors come together.  I find that everyone has their own preference when it comes to potato salad.  I added 2 ribs of celery, 1/3 of a red onion, and 4 chopped up pickle slices.

On to the dressing! 1/4 cup of the juice from your pickle jar (seriously, it's tasty and already seasoned for you!, about a 1/2 cup of mayo, 3 tablespoons of yellow mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.  Mix it up, taste it, and adjust as necessary, but remember that potatoes soak up A LOT of flavor, so don't be afraid to be bold!

Side note on pickles and mustard: Pickles and mustard are usually gluten free, but because they contain vinegar, you need to double check!  Distilled and cider vinegars are gluten free, but malt vinegar is NOT.  Check ingredients labels for the kind of vinegar (or for a GF label), and steer clear of the word malt.

Add the dressing to the potatoes and veggies- stir, taste, and chill in the fridge until dinner!  Now all that's left is to grill the chicken!  Heat the grill to around 500 degrees and grill chicken until it hits 165 degrees (about 5 minutes per side).  Voila!  Dinner!

Here's to good dinners at the end of tough days :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment